Friday, February 27, 2015

It's been a long time since I last blogged here and honestly, is anyone even reading this anymore? Oh well. Anyway, to cut to the chase- I'm finally in New Zealand and I'm finally starting to settle in. The accent, the people, the lifestyle. It took me a while and sometimes I feel that I'm still experiencing culture shock but then again, the shock is probably because one is subconsciously comparing the home culture with that of the new one. Forcing myself to step out of the comfort zone is something I don't feel comfortable with, but then again, who does right? I never actually expected to feel homesick either, but I did, initially, although now I have to say that I'm actually quite enjoying the change in environment. I've got Nic, my only Singaporean companion, and made a bunch of new friends that I honestly thank God for putting in my life. 

Speaking of friends, when I first arrived at the airport, I met this guy called Michael who had come back to NZ for a holiday while he worked in Papua New Guinea. That was probably my first taste of exactly how friendly the NZ people were and I wasn't proven wrong when I met my RAs who moved me into a hall room. I was like, one of the very first few to move in so within 2 days I was so utterly homesick. I didn't talk much to anyone, and although the RAs kept trying to get us to talk to them, I didn't, which I kind of regret. That was probably the best time to get to know them and I lost that opportunity because I was still wailing about how I wanted to go home, to Singapore. 

It was only when the rest moved in that I finally felt a little bit more at ease. Although I got to say, the moment everyone moved in, time passed really very quickly. It seemed like the bonding sessions were over too quickly, and now school is starting as well. It's almost sad if you think about it. I know its a feeling I'll get over soon but as of now I'm really feeling at my lowest. Oh well. I wonder if the RAs will give up on us since we've already been orientated into the hall. Perhaps, but I hope not. I really hope not. 

I'm going to end this post here. I need to finish up my laundry since it's been more than half an hour since I sent it into the washer. I wish I was more friendly. Or more sociable. Or maybe I had a constant someone in hall. I don't know. Lost? Maybe. 

No comments: